Zac Bissonnette, Jon White, Jackie Walters, and Brent Pittman were gracious enough to spend time in helping me understand the Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 that is being put in front of Congress. Thanks to Deacon Bradley from LifeStoked.com for making us aware of this!
Will the Student Loan Forgiveness Act of 2012 work?
The idea is to give student borrowers some relief and forgiveness, which is a wonderful gesture. My guests and I address specific aspects about this Act and we discuss how this could work, and how it won’t.
Highlights discussed from the Student Loan Forgiveness Act:
- The 10/10 Standard: Make payments equal to 10% of discretionary income for 10 years and the balance will be forgiven
- Cap the interest rate on Federal student loans at 3.4%
- Converting private student loans into the Federal program
- Changing the Public Service Loan Forgiveness requirement from 10 years to 5 for working in public service positions such as teaching, firefighting, and medicine in underserved communities
- Jump-starting the economy: Allowing millions of Americans the leeway in their budgets to buy homes, start businesses, and creating jobs
- Help those who experience illness, unemployment, and divorce. Yes, divorce
- The biggest question of it all: WHO’S GOING TO PAY FOR THIS?
This is a wonderful gesture, but it can’t pass. That’s not to say that it couldn’t pass, I’m saying this shouldn’t pass because it will do what the bailout programs did for our economy a few years ago: Nothing except save couple companies and put America into MORE debt.
Guests on this episode and links:
Zac Bissonnette exclusive! The never before told story of how he got CNN to drop a stupid video from their website. Zac Bissonnette Bonus – CNN pulls video