You can be anyone you want to be and do anything you want to do. There isn’t a pill or one-click solution that will make it happen, but there is a step-by-step process:
Learn how things work
Most successful people don’t stumble into something and become an overnight success. They grow up with an interest in that field and built experiences around it. They probably dove right into it and learned more about the inner-workings of the gadget or process or human behavior.
- Want to be a doctor? You need to go to medical school
- Want to be a Realtor? You need to learn from the industry
- Want to be a better husband? There are books about that. I recommend Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
Learning is key. Some of the education could come from a college degree but is more likely to be experience and passion for a subject that makes someone achieve true levels of success in a field of work, sport, or relationships.
Obtain the tools
You also need the resources to make it happen.
- Building a gadget? You need supplies
- Building a service? You need a product that solves somebody’s problem
- Building a business? You need a sales force (1 or more people)
Some of these things require very little money to start. It has been said that 69% of businesses cost less than $10,000 to start; and 24% involved NO MONEY to open their doors. Dan Miller, author of 48 Days To The Work You Love also created a list of Low or No Cost Business Ideas.
- Asking girls out (I have been happily married 13 years now)
- Cutting up my credit cards (they were destroyed 6 years ago)
- Public Speaking and Starting a podcast (I now LOVE public speaking and have released more than 100 episodes)
Yes, fear keeps me from trying many things. But my desire to achieve success in a specific area caused me to start.
What happens when I fail?
For example: I knew within two months of meeting my wife that she was the one I wanted to be with forever. I even asked her and she declined. However, I didn’t give up. I continued cultivating our relationship because she wasn’t ready.
Repeat until you’ve succeeded
The secret to being the best at anything is learn from mistakes and keep trying. There really are no overnight successes.
- Bill Gates didn’t create the Windows platform in one day
- Barack Obama didn’t wake up one day and decide he should run for president
- Jon Acuff didn’t start by writing a book, he started by writing sales copy and blogposts
You can be the best
With all the DIY books, websites, and TV shows there is someone out there doing what you want to do. The great news is there are more people needing your help than those people are able to serve. You don’t have to be the best in the industry but you can become the best to your clients.
- It would be great to have Bill Gates fix our PCs but there are thousands of computer repair shops that can remove that spyware on your kid’s computer.
- Hundreds of movies come out every year but I would bet there is one that you cherish over all others that is different than your wife’s or your best friend’s (mine is the Matrix, my best friend’s is Star Wars).
- I doubt I will ever be more popular than Dave Ramsey, but I am helping a bunch of people who listen to my show.
You can be the answer!
In America, we have the freedom to do anything we want, the resources to make it happen, as well as fellow citizens who love to hear stories about people beating unbelievable odds. All you need to do is to be there and deliver with excellence!